The Rudolf Rocker Chess Club meets once a month on a Saturday, noon to 4pm for drop in, casual chess. Usually this is the first Saturday of the month but it may be bumped to a different Saturday due to holiday closures, facilitator availability, or local tournaments.
We meet at the games tables on the 2nd floor of the Millennium Library (251 Donald St at Graham).
On other Saturdays where the library is open but where no facilitator is available, there are almost always other chess players at the library games tables in the afternoon, usually with an expert level player amoung them. Come on down and see who else shows up! (Bring your own equipment if you can)
See the schedule below for days where a facilitator is present and exceptions in the schedule:
- November 17, 2018 — We encourage attending the Aron Kapstan Memorial Chess Tournament which is taking place Saturday November 17 and Sunday November 18, 2018 at the University of Winnipeg (room TBA). This open, two day, five round tournament will be using a small, 6 player section format similar to the Manitoba Scholastic Chess Association tournaments, an awesome opportunity to play tournament chess against folks closer to your level.
- November 24, 2018 — Facilitated by Mark Jenkins, free beginner lessons available.
- December 1, 2018 — Facilitated by Mark Jenkins, free beginner lessons available
- January 5, 2019 — Facilitated by Mark Jenkins, free beginner lessons available
- February 2, 2019 — Facilitated by Mark Jenkins, free beginner lessons available
- March 2, 2019 — Facilitated by Mark Jenkins, free beginner lessons available
Please be aware of the library’s code of conduct. Bringing food and talking is permitted, but it’s important to not disrupt other patrons use of the library.
Contact us if you would like to be added to the schedule for facilitating casual chess at any public location on any other day. Equipment will be provided.